SEASONAL EATING: EGGPLANT


I got a beautiful eggplant from Bountiful Sprout this week, and when I was trying to decide what to do with it, I suddenly remembered this dish that I had made many years ago. It comes from the amazing cookbook Tout de Suite a' la Microwave: A gourmet's cookbook of French, Acadian & Creole recipes, by Jean K. Durkee. I'm not sure if it's even still in print, but it would have been worth haunting your used bookstore for, just for the praline recipe alone (see sidebar - favorite recipes). Now that I've rediscovered this recipe - the only way I've ever managed to slip eggplant past my husband - I'd say it's a must have!

Eggplant and Rice Casserole (my Cajun friends call it "dressing")

Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6-8

2 medium eggplants, peeled and diced
2 T. water
1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery (I didn't have any, so I added some bell pepper for crunch)

1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped parsley
4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 lb. lean ground meat or 1 lb. raw peeled shrimp (I used 1/2 lb. of Buddy's Natural Chicken Sausage Links this time, jalapeno variety, diced, and it was quite tasty)
2 cups cooked rice
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like things
seasoned bread crumbs (or crumbled crackers)
Parmesan cheese
Optional: 1/2 cup of something tomatoey - catsup, marinara, whatever. This was not in Durkee's recipe, but was in a meat dressing that a Cajun friend cooked for me once, and I liked it.

  • Place eggplant and water mixed with salt in a 2 qt. dish. Cover and cook on HIGH for 7 minutes. Stir and drain. Set aside.
  • Melt butter in a 3 qt. casserole. Saute' onion and celery on HIGH for 5 minutes.
  • Add green onions, parsley and garlic. Saute' on HIGH for 3 minutes.
  • Stir in ground meat or shrimp, mix well. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes, stirring twice. Drain off fat. Add rice, eggplant, salt and peppers. Stir to mix. Top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Cover. Microwave on MEDIUM for 5 minutes, or until heated through.
P.S. Many thanks to brookfieldfarm.org for the above image.
Share on :
SEASONAL EATING: EGGPLANT
SEASONAL EATING: EGGPLANT
Reviewed by juragan asem
Published :
Rating : 4.5