RAISING THE BAR ON LOCAL EATERIES






This recession of ours was slower to reach here than other parts of the country, but eventually, it took its toll. Two years ago the restaurant that has been the cornerstone of the town square for longer than I can remember, Cypress Creek Cafe, closed its doors. Next it was the wine bar, and most recently, the restaurant I've been going to as long as I've been coming to Wimberley, Juan Henry's, down on River Road. I'm gonna miss having ol' Dave greet me from behind the bar, with his handlebar moustache and a twinkle in his eye. His food wasn't the greatest (though I was mighty fond of that mushroom quesadilla), but he's one of the first people who comes to mind when I think "Hill Country Character." I mean, you gotta love a guy who is willing to preside over a community-wide rain dance dressed in a bunny costume, right?

Of course, the economy wasn't the only thing that forced those two landmarks to shut down. They were in business a very long time, and got pretty set in their ways - but the times, they are a changin'. New kids are coming to town - kids like the couple who opened The Leaning Pear - and they've raised the bar on our expectations by making simple, delicious food using fresh, real ingredients. You either step up to the challenge, or you get left behind. Mima's, who has always offered simple, made from scratch food at a good price, is probably busier than she has ever been before, despite the sagging economy.

Now, after two years of sitting empty, Cypress Creek Cafe has finally reopened, and the wine bar has been reborn as Lucy & Ethel's Eatery-Bakery. Will they be up to the challenge? Only time will tell.

Afternote: When I went to snap a photo at Lucy & Ethel's, I decided to step inside and ask for a menu. Somehow I ended up leaving with two tiny croissants - one almond, and one chocolate. If my almond croissant taste-test is any indication, I'd say L&E is probably up to the challenge!
Share on :
RAISING THE BAR ON LOCAL EATERIES
RAISING THE BAR ON LOCAL EATERIES
Reviewed by juragan asem
Published :
Rating : 4.5