MOVIE LISTS AND EARLY BIRTHDAYS


John and Austin (and Guinness, of course) came in yesterday evening, to help me celebrate an early birthday by finishing That Dang Wall for me. Woohoo! Unfortunately, I woke up to the sound of pouring rain during the night, and it looks like we may get some more today. Since that wall happens to be a cinder-block retaining wall, that means there will be water seeping through it for the next couple of days, from the sodden soil behind. And, I reckon that means any paint we tried to apply to it right now would probably not stick too well, huh? Well! Doesn't that just chomp big green boogers? Ah well, it's the thought that counts, right?

Hmmm. Here's a thought! Maybe I could talk them into fetching me a truck load of mulch to spread in the perennial beds instead, and maybe a little straw for the veggie beds? Yeah, that's the ticket! Meanwhile, this looks like it's gonna play out to be the perfect kind of weekend to curl up with a great classic movie - perhaps one containing "visions of domesticity."

According to Jane Brocket, author of The Gentle Art of Domesticity, "Sometimes, there is nothing better than a couple of hours' quilting or knitting or crochet in front of a favorite film. When I know I am going to treat myself to this luxury, I choose my film carefully. Nothing too tense, dramatic, searing or frightening (Rear Window, 1954, is about as far as I can go, and that's mainly so that I can be reminded of James Stewart's stunningly blue eyes and Grace Kelly's outrageously beautiful couture dress)." The following films are the ones she watches over and over again - the ones that make her feel good about domesticity:

  • Brief Encounter (1945)
  • Young at Heart (1954)
  • I Capture the Castle (2003)
  • Houseboat (1958)
  • Amelie (2001)
  • Little Women (1949)
  • Brodeuses (A Common Thread) (2004)
  • Sense and Sensibility (1995)
  • The Sound of Music (1965)
Have a great weekend!

P.S. Many thanks to teegardennash.com for the image above.
Share on :
MOVIE LISTS AND EARLY BIRTHDAYS
MOVIE LISTS AND EARLY BIRTHDAYS
Reviewed by juragan asem
Published :
Rating : 4.5