VANITY

My new-fangled solar clothes dryer.

I have never considered myself to be a vain or prideful person.  I've never wanted expensive jewelry, designer clothes, or a luxury car.  I've never felt the need to cover my grey (well, I do add hi-lites to my hair, so I guess that's kinda vain), nor have I considered having any strictly cosmetic surgeries - 'though, if these eyelids droop any further, I'm gonna have to prop them up with toothpicks in order to see!

One thing I am quite proud of, however, is my brand new clothesline. (despite John's remark about his mom being up in heaven going "Those Stupes!  Why would anyone choose to go back to a clothesline, when they have a perfectly good dryer sitting a few feet away?")

The other vanity I must admit to is my health.  Perhaps because my own mom was a bit of a hypochondriac and drama queen, I have gone to great pains to prove that I am neither of the above.  I absolutely love being able to say "I'm 57 years old, don't take any meds at all, and the only time I go to the doctor is for my annual check-up."

Granted, last time I had one of those, they did mention that my cholesterol was higher than it should be.  But, since my good cholesterol levels were high enough to keep the ratio in balance, they gave me some time to work on getting it back to where it should be.  So I did.  I started eating steel cut oats with added flax at least five mornings a week.  I made sure I got some kind of exercise almost every day.  I ate lots of good fresh veggies, and very little meat.  And, I lost about one third of the excess weight that had been dragging me down.  I was quite proud of myself, and felt sure that when they got the results of this week's blood work back, I'd be receiving congratulatory pats on the back.

Au contraire, mon amis.  Instead, my total cholesterol is now about thirty points higher than it was last time!  Well, my momma always said "Pride goeth before the fall."  That, or a good gust of wind.
Guess it still needs some work.
Share on :
VANITY
VANITY
Reviewed by juragan asem
Published :
Rating : 4.5