LETTING GO






Letting go...that's a doozie, isn't it? Story Circle Network recently offered that up as a writing prompt, and though I'm not planning to submit anything, the topic just seems to have dug itself into my brain, and rears its head every time I turn around.

When our adult kids moved back home for a few months, Austin with John and Lex with me, I didn't have too much trouble letting go of my Mom-the-advice-giver-and-problem-solver role. It was the Mom-as-worry-wart role that I just couldn't shake . It was a constant battle, stifling the urge to call and check up on her whenever she was late getting home, even knowing that she'd managed just fine without me for the last nine years!

My friend and Muse, Outdoor Woman, has been holding vigil as her father passed on this week, and it brought back lots of tough memories regarding the passing of my parents and in-laws. Old age sucks. There's just no denying it, and no way around it that isn't much worse. But, I think it sucks for a reason. I think it's all part of the plan, for helping us to let go. Of life. It helps the one who is passing to anticipate the dropping of their shackles, and it allows those left behind to feel a sense of relief over their loved one's deliverance from pain and suffering.

Mostly though, I've been thinking about letting go of stuff. About how much harder it is for some people than for others. Now, John and our friend Tim are nothing like the hoarders on that new reality TV show, but they definitely have more trouble letting go than Paula and I do. In fact, whenever Paula gets the urge to purge, Tim has been known to start gathering up all his old ratty clothes and various belongings, then stashing them in the locked trunk of his car until her urge passes.

There are only two things that I have trouble letting go of. One is anything that was gifted to me, even if I've had it for years, and never used it once. It just seems like such a betrayal of the one who cared enough to give it to me, and I'd die if they ever found out and were hurt by it. The other thing is certain serving pieces and artwork. I had no trouble whatsoever getting rid of all the fancy silver and crystal that just weren't me in the first place, and never got used. However, most of the stuff pictured here was deeply loved and used to death, and represents so many wonderful life-experiences from another place and time. Though I will never be able to return there physically, I travel back in my mind each time I see or handle these things. So, what do you do, once you've accumulated 30 or 40 years worth of these memory triggers, but have chosen to settle in a place about half the size of previous ones? Well, you take a lot of photos. You write or tell stories about the memories they unearth. And then, you let go.
Share on :
LETTING GO
LETTING GO
Reviewed by juragan asem
Published :
Rating : 4.5